Oral Ivermectin is a prescription medication, which is usually applied in the cases of intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis ― the two indications approved by the FDA. As for its topical version in the form of cream, it is recommended for treating such infections as head lice and rosacea.
What is Ivermectin for Humans Used for?
This medicine is intended for treating infections caused by varied parasites. To be more precise, it is effective against:
- head lice;
- lymphatic filariasis;
How Does It Work?
Ivermectin is characterized by a complex effect. It neutralizes helminths and other parasites by affecting the operation of their muscles and nerves. That leads to their paralyzation and, consequently, to their death.
One must highlight that helminth infestations make a heavy impact on one’s quality of life. It is associated with a long list of varied health complications: from skin rashes, itching, appetite problems, vomiting, and other digestive issues to severe sight changes and life-threatening states (in case one’s immunity is compromised due to accompanying diseases). Thus, one must not leave any helminth invasions untreated.
How to Take Ivermectin?
- Since it belongs to prescription medicines, you must not try it at your sole discretion. You should contact your healthcare provider and make sure that it is safe for your health and effective for your health problem. Besides, your doctor will calculate an optimal dose, which will suit your needs.
- This medication is produced in three dosage forms ― 3mg, 6mg, 12mg. Your doctor will determine an optimal daily dose for you based on your age, weight, and health state. You may be prescribed 1–5 pills per day.
- You must take these tablets on an empty stomach with a glass of water ― at least one hour prior to any meals.
- The duration of the therapy is determined by the type of parasites. In most cases, a single dose is an optimal variant. But, in some cases, the treatment course may last 1–2 weeks. Also, if a patient suffers from onchocerciasis, he usually must take a second course in 6–12 months.
Why is Ivermectin Better than Stromectol?
The main reason why patients and doctors give preference to generic Ivermectin is the low price. Such tablets cost several times cheaper than brand ones. At the same time, their quality, safety, and effectiveness are identical. The price of generic pills is lower due to the fact that producers save on researching, testing, advertising, and patenting. So, those patients, who want to safely reduce their expenses on healthcare, choose Ivermectin for Covid.
When Should One Not Try Ivermectin?
Here is the list of situations, which you must discuss with your doctor before using this medicine:
- allergies to any medicines, foods, colorants, preservatives, or other inactive substances, which are used in drug manufacturing;
- any accompanying diseases or health problems, especially any liver issues;
- taking this medication or any other anthelmintic medicines before;
- using any other prescription or non-prescription medications or supplements.
What Are the Potential Side Effects?
One must note right away that this product does not possess any toxic properties, it is a myth. Its use can be followed by certain toxic symptoms, but they are caused by parasites and their death, not the medicine.
- The most common negative reactions to this drug include heat fever, skin rashes, and itching.
- Besides, it can cause headaches, sleepiness, dizziness, nausea, problems with digestion, pains in the stomach, swelling in the legs, joint pains, pains, redness, or itchiness of the eyes, etc.
- The severity of negative reactions depends on the dose used so one should never increase the dose prescribed.
- Sure, if one faces negative reactions after taking this medication, one should consult a doctor. However, again, in most cases, they are related to the vital activities or dying of parasites.
Patients are prescribed this medicine only when its potential therapeutic effects outweigh possible negative reactions. Hence, if your doctor assures you that you should keep on using it, you must follow his advice.
Precautions You Must Follow:
- Be sure to read the leaflet provided in a pack up to the end before using the drug for the first time.
- You should keep in touch with your doctor ― visit all the scheduled consultations, report any side effects and deteriorations in your condition, pass extra examinations and tests when required (that is needed to make sure that you are completely healed).
- You should never start or repeat the course without getting approval from your doctor. Obviously, you must never share your pills with any other people even if they have identical symptoms.
- You must never change the dose or finish the course without your doctor’s recommendation.
- You should not drive, ride a cycle, or deal with any dangerous machinery or tools before you make sure this medicine does not make you feel dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak and does not cause tremors, muscle pains, or seizures in you.
- For storing this product, choose a dry, dark, and cool place. The temperature of storage should be below 30°C. So, it is not recommended to leave it in the cars, on the windowsills, in the bathrooms, or in the kitchens. You had better keep it in the original packaging. Do not take it out of a blister beforehand. That may lead to spoilage, extra expenses, or adverse health reactions.
All information that you can find here about Ivermectin, its consumption, and dosages, is offered for education. We don’t bear responsibility for the details provided in this article and encourage you to consult a medical specialist if you want to take this drug. A doctor can properly assess your medical history and conclude whether Ivermectin is safe for you. Taking this drug without physical examination and consultation with a doctor can cause various side effects. The article doesn’t provide all the information you need to determine whether it’s right for you.